Attention - POISONOUS

The following list makes no claim to be complete, it is at the moment under construction.
By all means, if you suspect signs of a poisoning, seek out your vet immediately, better in vain than too late.

Avocado

All parts of the avocado and avocado tree are toxic to dogs (contains Persin - for humans not dangerous).
The symptoms include gastrointestinal irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, respiratory distress, congestion, fluid accumulation around the tissues of the heart, and even death.

Chocolate

Two different toxins are in chocolate: caffeine and the alkaloid theobromine (lesser known and more dangerous). Ingesting chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, depression, muscle tremors, excessive thirst with frequent urination. The dog can become agitated and start pacing. More dangerous symptoms can develop including elevated/irregular heart rate, blood pressure changes and seizures. Baking/cooking chocolate is the worst, and the younger or smaller the dog, the more dangerous (in large amounts even deadly) it is to them.

Grapes and Raisins

Although it is not known what component of the grapes or raisins causes renal failure in dogs, the fact that grapes and raisins are fatal poisonous for dogs is for certain. 
Dogs that consumed grapes or raisins typically vomited within a few hours of ingestion. At this point, some dogs would stop eating, and develop diarrhea. The dogs often became lethargic and showed signs of abdominal pain. Medical evidence showed elevated levels of blood calcium, blood urea nitrogen, creatinine and phosphorous. These chemicals reflect kidney function. As the kidney damage developed, the dogs would produce little urine. When they could no longer produce urine, death occurred. 
Treatment can be successful with immediate medical intervention. The exact dose is not known, scientists estimate that already about 11,6 g grapes/kg weight of the dog can be dangerous.

Medical Skin Creams

Calcipotriol which is a vitamin D analogue. It is used in ointments for eczema and psoriasis. It may be fatal to dogs even in minute doses - just one lick.

Oleander

All parts of the Oleander are considered to be toxic, as they contain cardiac glycosides that have the potential to cause serious effects — including gastrointestinal tract irritation, abnormal heart function, hypothermia and even death.

Onion

Onions contain N-Propyldisulfid and Allylpropylsufid that can poison your dog. Disulphides damage the surface of red blood cells and destroy them. The result is anemia. The dog becomes weak and breathless, and may require a blood transfusion for recovery. The red pigment in urine (hemoglobinuria) is easily confused with urinary tract problems.

 

Last Updated

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.